“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” (John 3:16-17).
There was a man of the Pharisees (Jewish ruling council) named Nicodemus. He had been following and listening to Jesus from a distance. He could not let anyone know he was intrigued by Jesus’ message. Knowing this, he would never be able to associate with Jesus in broad daylight, so he decided to come to Jesus in the middle of the night, in secret. There were rumors that Jesus could possibly be the Messiah, something most Pharisees were not ready to accept. But Nicodemus’ curiosity arrested him and he had to talk to Jesus, personally. It was imperative to get to know Jesus and understand who he really was. I imagine Nicodemus questioned Jesus’ identity with internal questions such as, “Why am I having trouble reconciling what I feel in my heart with what my mind knows?” This is the million dollar question. Jesus did not fit perfectly into Nicodemus’ intellectual framework, yet, he was ready to take a huge step of faith, believing in Jesus as Savior of the world. Jesus explained to Nicodemus the process of salvation. This may be helpful to you as well:
1. Approach intellectual understanding by FAITH (We would never have landed on the moon if we did not first believe it was possible!).
2. Faith is believing (πίστις, Greek). They are one in the same.
3. Coming to faith is what Jesus calls being “Born Again” (This is a spiritual rebirth.).
4. Being born again gives us new eyes to see the world from within the kingdom of God (heavenly perspective).
5. We are brought from darkness into light (just like Nicodemus). Have you taken the necessary steps towards knowing Jesus as Savior? If not, take a moment and invite him into your life today. He has come to take our sin away and offer us eternal life. Praise God! Jesus is Savior of the world!
Getting To Know Him More,