Rev. Miguel and Lupe Canales
Rev. Josh and Bunmi Canales
History of The Mission
Mission Ebenezer Family Church was founded in June of 1960 by Pastor Miguel and Lupe Canales, as a Spanish speaking church affiliated with the Assemblies of God. The Mission has grown from 15 to more than 3000 adherents over the years. Principle growth came under the powerful preaching and pastoral ministry of Pastors Isaac and Ritha Canales, who assumed leadership in 1978 and devoted over 40 years of effective ministry and leadership to God's work at The Mission. Then, while playing professional baseball (Dodgers and Astros), Pastor Josh Canales heeded the call of ministry upon his life in 2003 and began preparing for the ministry. In the last 16 years of ministry, Pastor Josh has provided consistent leadership with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, The Rock Youth Ministry at the Mission, and as Executive Pastor at the Mission. Today, he leads Mission Ebenezer Family Church and serves as National General Presbyter for the Southern Pacific District of the Assemblies of God.
The Mission began as one of the smallest and only Spanish Assemblies in the South Bay. Over time, a switch was made to include English speaking worship for English speaking friends and family in the Spanish congregation. With three spirit-filled worship times on Sunday and a vibrant midweek gathering on Wednesday, The Mission draws widely from the Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan area as well as enjoying regular mention in the media.
In addition, the growth of this dynamic church with excellent ministries to the family continues to serve the region well. The church is located off the on and off-ramps of LA's major freeway system and occupies the gates of village life in an urban tapestry. Thus, over the last ten years the diverse pastoral team has preached the gospel from this historic pulpit pulling from both the perspective of male and female, academic to athletic, professional to domestic.
Lastly, with strong community ties in the surrounding area, The Mission has launched home cell groups following the Acts 2 discipleship model. The church has been recognized frequently, both nationally and locally, for exemplary service to the community it proudly serves. And over the last 60 years it has moved seven times; from the projects of Harbor City to the house on Bolsa and Dominguez to Main and 2l3th, to 244th and Hawthorne, to the Canales family home, to Main and Torrance Blvd., and finally to Figueroa and Torrance Blvd. Though the journey has been long and trying, Mission Ebenezer Family Church is committed to serving Jesus faithfully in new and fresh ways.
MEET THE PASTORS
MEET THE PASTORS
MEET THE PASTORS
MEET THE PASTORS
is to "Impact the World a Family at a Time."
Our Missional Focus
is to Reclaim the Lost, Regain the Unchurched, Retrain the Mind,
Retain for Service and Restore to Worship.
is "to provide the family with excellent spiritual care through the ministries of our church. Our passion is to meet every family member at the point of their need, by directing them to ministries that will equip them with winning strategies for successful Christian Living."
Our 7 Core Values
3. Globally Blended
This is the secret of our growth. This is what we do best. This is who we are and you are
welcome. "Mi casa es su casa."
1. WE BELIEVE...The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
2. WE BELIEVE...There is only One True God–revealed in three persons...Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).
3. WE BELIEVE...In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God's son Jesus was both human and divine.
4. WE BELIEVE...though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
5. WE BELIEVE...Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God Through 'Salvation' (trusting Christ, through faith and repentance, to be our personal Savior).
6. WE BELIEVE...and practice two ordinances—(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one's sins and receiving Christ's gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord's Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ's suffering and death for our salvation.
7. WE BELIEVE...the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times.
8. WE BELIEVE... The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘Speaking in Tongues,’ as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
9. WE BELIEVE...Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.
10. WE BELIEVE...The Church has a Mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe 'the Church' is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God's offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ.
11. WE BELIEVE...A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, to build up or edify the body of believers–the Church and to Meet human need with ministries of love and compassion.
12. WE BELIEVE...Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ's atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins).
13. WE BELIEVE...in The Blessed Hope—When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever.
14. WE BELIEVE...in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of universal peace.
15. WE BELIEVE...A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.
16. WE BELIEVE...and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. 'And so shall we forever be with the Lord!'